Why You Should Have Chimney Leaks Repaired Immediately
Your chimney is critical to your home’s venting system, helping safely and efficiently remove smoke and exhaust from your wood or gas-burning fireplace. However, the extreme weather conditions we experience, from freezing winters to humid summers, are taking a toll on your chimney, leading to water leaks for homeowners in Niagara Falls, Rochester, and western New York.
Common Causes of Chimney Leaks in the Buffalo, NY Area
A leaky chimney can cause a lot of damage to your home when not repaired immediately. It can lead to mold growth, structural damage, and electrical fires. Even a tiny leak will worsen into more extensive structural damage. That’s why it’s crucial to inspect your chimney regularly for leaks and to have them repaired immediately.
- Missing or damaged chimney cap: Repairing a lost or damaged chimney cap prevents water from leaking into the fireplace, the most common cause of a chimney leak in the western New York region.
- Chimney crown damage: The chimney crown is the topmost part of your chimney. It helps to protect your chimney from the elements and prevents water from leaking around the flue pipe. It also has a drip edge to deflect water away from the house. When the crown has cracks or is crumbling, moisture can enter and damage the chimney system.
- Warped or rusted flashing: Flashing is the metal sheeting that seals the joint between your chimney and roof. Water can seep inside and damage the interior masonry, attic, and ceiling when the flashing is missing or damaged.
- Cracking or crumbling masonry: Due to the destructive effects of the freeze-thaw cycle, the masonry can degrade over time. As a result, cracks and gaps may form, permitting water leakage that can ultimately lead to a structural collapse.
Chimney Leaks Can Cause Severe Water Damage To Your Home
Chimney leaks can result in significant water damage, posing a severe threat to the structural integrity of your home. Water can seep through and enter the home’s interior when a chimney is not properly maintained or has cracks or gaps.
- Chimney and fireplace damage: Water damages the masonry, metal, and other materials that work in unison to evacuate harmful contaminants safely and efficiently. A leak can lead to masonry cracks, spalling brick, and other structural problems without immediate repair.
- Mold growth: Mold grows in moist, humid areas. And a water leak creates the perfect environment. Mold can also cause health issues, especially for the young, elderly, and those with respiratory or allergy problems.
- Fire hazard: Chimney leaks also create a fire hazard. When water leaks into the flue, it can cause incomplete combustion, resulting in more soot and creosote buildup. This increases the risk of chimney fire and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Rochester Masonry Repair and Restoration Services
Don’t let water ruin your chimney and fireplace. If you notice any signs of a water leak around your chimney or fireplace, it is critical to have it repaired immediately.
The Certified Chimney Professionals at Felgemacher Masonry & Chimney provide water leak detection, repair, and restoration services.