As durable as brick or stone masonry chimneys are, they have one mortal enemy: Water. That’s right, one of Earth’s simplest natural elements, H 2 0, is one of the most destructive forces a chimney faces. The reason this combination of hydrogen and oxygen is so destructive is just as simple: Brick and mortar are porous materials that absorb water like a sponge, accelerating its deterioration beyond normal wear and tear. As a result, it can lead to brick spalling, which can eventually cause your chimney to fall.
For this reason, Felgemacher Masonry & Chimney recommends chimney waterproofing for homeowners in Fort Mill, SC, and the Greater Charlotte area. Our trained chimney technicians will apply a specially formulated chimney waterproofing solution to help prevent moisture intrusion, prolonging your chimney’s lifespan while reducing repairs for chimneys in Wingate, NC, Lincolnton, NC, Hickory, NC, Mecklenburg County, and communities throughout the Metrolina region.
How Waterproofing Can Save Your Chimney
So, how can waterproofing save your chimney? We have helped thousands of customers preserve their chimney structures with ChimneySaver®; a professional water repellent solution specifically formulated to shield masonry chimneys against the damaging effects of rain, snow, and ice. It’s a water-based, VOC-compliant solution that bonds to the masonry, creating a vapor permeable membrane. This membrane layer allows the chimney to breathe, preventing the trapping of water molecules that accelerate the masonry’s deterioration.
- It protects from Efflorescence, the first sign of moisture penetration.
- It provides a protective shield against the freeze-thaw cycle’s damaging effects.
- Its Water-based formula has a 100% vapor permeable membrane.
- Backed by a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty
Does your chimney have masonry damage? Here are five signs your chimney may need repair:
- Efflorescence – White stains that appear on the masonry surface.
- Cracked, crumbling, or missing bricks and mortar.
- There are cracks in the chimney crown.
- Water stains on the walls or ceiling around the fireplace or stove.
- Puddles in the firebox.
Anytime there is moisture intrusion, it is imperative to act quickly. Water can severely damage the internal chimney system, rust or corrode metal components, and weaken its structural integrity. It can also create conditions for mold and mildew, not to mention attracting rodents and pests. Without timely repairs, your chimney can be compromised to the point where partial or complete rebuilding is the only viable option. After masonry repairs, waterproofing will protect the chimney from future water damage.
Is Water Damage Preventable?
Rain and snow are a part of life in Hickory, NC, and other towns across the Carolinas. However, there are several things you can do to protect your chimney from water damage and minimize repairs.
- Don’t forget to schedule a chimney inspection every year.
- Make recommended chimney repairs as soon as possible.
- Inspect your chimney for damage after a storm, hurricane, or tornado
- Replace damaged or missing chimney caps.
- Ensure your damper opens and closes completely.
- Waterproof your chimney for ten years of protection.
Chimney Waterproofing in Charlotte
We can protect your chimney against future water damage. Felgemacher Masonry & Chimney is your local chimney sweep serving the Charlotte NC area, including Huntersville, NC, Fort Mill, SC, and Wingate, NC.
Prevent water damage by calling us about waterproofing your chimney today!
Felgemacher Masonry & Chimney of Charlotte
10806 Reames Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28269