Chimney and Fireplace Care During the Summer
Now that summer is officially here; you’re probably planning your family outings like a trip to Niagara Falls, the shores of Lake Ontario, and other popular attractions. However, since they don’t get as much use in the summertime, you’re probably wondering what you should do with your chimney and fireplace. So before you pack and load the kids into the SUV, here are a few things you should do with your chimney and fireplace:
Clean the Fireplace
Cleaning the fireplace is at the top of the list because a clean fireplace is safe. So, if cleaning the fireplace wasn’t on your spring list of chores, now is the time to do it. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy and doesn’t take long. But, ensure it has been cool for at least 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove wood logs along with the grate and gridirons.
- Sweep the ash into a metal container.
- Vacuum or sweep any remaining debris in the fireplace.
- Use a firebrick cleaner and stiff brush to scrub soot, creosote, and stains from the firebrick. You can pick up all your fireplace cleaning supplies at your local Felgemacher Fireplace Shop in Buffalo, NY.
- Don’t forget to clean the glass doors and mesh screen too.
- Take the grate and gridirons outside to scrub them clean.
- When dry, replace the grate and gridirons in the fireplace
- Before you light the fireplace, layer a thin 1″ layer of ash on the firebox floor. It will help start your fire. You can recycle the remaining ash as fertilizer in your garden.
Schedule A Professional Chimney Inspection & Sweep
Just like we need an annual checkup to make sure we stay healthy. Your chimney needs a yearly checkup to stay healthy too. An annual chimney inspection will ensure it is structurally sound, doesn’t have flue obstructions or flammable creosote buildup, and has the necessary clearance of combustible materials. Our CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep® will provide a detailed report. This way, you will know which repairs need to be made and if cleaning is necessary. We can often clean the chimney during the same visit.
Make Needed Chimney & Fireplace Repairs
The key to prolonging the lifespan of your fireplace and chimney is making needed repairs before they grow into more extensive problems later. The five common chimney repairs in the Rochester and Western New York region include:
- Excessive Creosote Buildup
- Brick spall
- Missing Chimney Cap
- Flue Obstruction
Decorate the Fireplace & Mantle
Many homeowners enjoy decorating the space in the fireplace with the colors of the season. If your fireplace gets natural light, you can add some green or colorful plants in decorative pots for a cheery summer vibe. Or, hanging a work of art on an easel in front of the fireplace is a quaint, personal touch. You can also decorate the mantel with your favorite vases, heirlooms, family picture frames, and other mementos.
Summer Chimney & Fireplace Inspections & Repairs
The summer is generally a slower season for chimney professionals, so it is the perfect time to get your annual inspection, cleaning, and necessary repairs done before colder weather arrives again.
Call (716) 907-4914 or (585) 308-4914. You can also contact us online to schedule your summer chimney inspection today!