Why Now Is the Best Time for Chimney Repairs
Now is the perfect time to take care of any masonry repairs your home may need. During winter, masonry is more susceptible to damage from freezing temperatures and moisture. However, since the spring and summer months in northwestern New York are typically warm and dry, it is the best time of year for all chimney repairs. So, let’s take a closer look at some of the problems that indicate your chimney needs repair.
Five Warning Signs Your Chimney Needs Repairs Now
Unfortunately, many folks don’t realize that their chimney needs some repair until they notice water leaks, smoke filling up in the firebox, or other signs of damage. We prefer to fix problems when they are minor before they cause more damage. So, here are five warning signs that indicate it’s time to call the chimney professionals at Felgemacher Masonry & Chimney:
- The chimney is leaning. A leaning chimney is easy to spot because it is tilting. But unlike the Leaning Tower of Pisa, a chimney will eventually collapse under its weight. And when it does, it can cause extensive property damage, and the chimney may need a rebuild. So, if your chimney is leaning, it needs immediate repair.
- There are cracks in the foundation. Since a masonry chimney can weigh up to 20,000 pounds, it is built on a strong foundation. However, age, weather, soil conditions, settling, and other issues can cause the foundation to crack, damaging your chimney, fireplace, and home. Report any visible cracks in the foundation to your chimney professional right away.
- Damage to your chimney crown. The chimney crown’s masonry surface is vulnerable to weather damage, especially if there are issues with the chimney cap. It is common to notice visible cracks or damage to the drip edge from previously harsh winters. Making chimney crown repairs now will avoid water damage to its interior masonry walls.
- The chimney cap is broken or missing. You should see the cap atop the crown when you look up at the chimney. It keeps moisture, critters, and debris from entering the flue. If your chimney cap is missing, call us so we can install a beautiful new cap to avoid damaging the crown.
- Chipped or missing bricks or mortar. When walking around the chimney outside your house, look closely at the bricks, stones, and mortar. If you spot any chipped, cracked, or missing bricks or stones, decaying mortar, or holes, you need immediate masonry repair to prevent further water damage to the chimney.
- You see rusting or staining. Any rusting or staining, whether white, black, red, orange, or green, is a flashing warning sign that your chimney needs a professional inspection. In many cases, rust or white stains are the first sign that damage is occurring.
Common Chimney Repairs in Northwest New York
While Felgemacher Masonry and Chimney is a full-service contractor, these are the most common repairs we perform in Buffalo, Rochester, and throughout northwest New York:
- Flashing Repair
- Individual Brick Replacement
- Chimney Crown Repair
- Chimney Rebuilding
- Chimney Cap Replacement
Expert Chimney Repairs in Buffalo-Niagara Falls -Rochester NY
We’re in your neighborhood! So, now is the best time to schedule a professional chimney inspection and make those masonry repairs while the weather is warm and dry.
Doing so now will prevent further moisture damage, minimizing more expensive repairs in the future.
Call 716-907-4914 (Greater Buffalo) or 585-308-4914 (Greater Rochester) to schedule an appointment with a Certified Chimney Professional® today! You can also contact us online.