Being in the Western New York Area, the harsh weather conditions can cause serious damage to your chimney. The mortar joints become damaged and eroded and moisture can damage the brick or stone. Tuckpointing is the process used to prevent the destructive process.
WHAT IS TUCKPOINTING?
Tuckpointing is the process of repairing the mortar joints in the stone or brick walls by grinding out the old mortar and filling it in with new mortar.
WHY IS TUCKPOINTING NECESSARY?
The mortar of a chimney has a much shorter lifespan than the bricks or stone. When the mortar becomes damaged, the most cost effective way to repair it is through tuckpointing. If the mortar of the chimney deteriorates, the chimney can collapse and a complete rebuild will be necessary. The cost of a rebuild is much more expensive than repairing the mortar.
BENEFITS OF TUCKPOINTING
Tuckpointing is crucial in order to preserve the life of a chimney. There are many benefits of having your chimney tuckpointed before the damage is only repairable through rebuilding. The benefits include:
1. Structural Stability- After time, the corrosion of the mortar with lead to the chimney leaning or collapsing.
2. Leakage- Tuckpointing prevents moisture and water from entering the chimney system. Moisture in the chimney can cause serious damage to the interior of the chimney, such as causing a buildup of mold and mildew and can eventually cause damage to the ceiling and walls around the chimney.
3. Cost- Tuckpointing is much more cost effective than a complete chimney rebuild.
4. Corrosion- Tuckpointing stops the corrosion of the mortar joints.
5. Value Increase- The value of your home increases when the mortar is repaired on your chimney.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHIMNEY NEEDS TUCKPOINTING OR REBUILDING?
Take a close look at the walls of your chimney. Do you see cracks, crumbling bricks, uneven areas of mortar, voids or noticeable gaps between the bricks? If so, call us for an estimate at 716-907-4914.
AREAS WE SERVICE
City of Buffalo: Blackrock, Riverside, Elmwood Village, North Park, University Heights, Central Park, Hamlin Park, Grant Ferry, Masten Park, North Delaware, Military, Lakeview, Medical Park, Perry, Willert Park, First Ward, Babcock, Triangle, Abbott Mckinley, Kaisertown, Lovejoy, Broadway Fillmore, Schiller Park, Lasalle, Kensington, Kenfield, Starin Central
Northern Suburbs: Kenmore, Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Grand Island, Niagara Falls, Wheatfield, Sanborn, Lewiston, Amherst, E. Amherst, Clarence, Cheektawaga, Depew, Lancaster, Lockport
Southern Suburbs: West Seneca, Elma, East Aurora, Lackawanna, Orchard Park, Hamburg